Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bears

     I live in suburbia, but early this morning when opening the back door I startled a mama black bear and her 2 cubs as they were decimating our bird feeders.  They immediately took off running, but one cub ran up a fence post.  The second cub returned to get him and then both followed mama around the corner and out of sight.  So  cool, but it all happened too fast.  I wish I could have gotten pictures.
     We will start bringing our bird feeders in the house overnight; no need to get the bears in trouble by having them so close to people.

"If you're a bear, you get to hibernate.  You do nothing for six months.  I could deal with that.
Before you hibernate, you're supposed to eat yourself stupid.  I could deal with that, too.
If you're a bear, you birth your children (who are the size of walnuts) while you're sleeping and wake to partially grown, but cuddly cubs.  I could definitely deal with that.
If you're a mama bear, everyone knows you mean business.  You swat anyone who bothers your cubs.  If your cubs get out of line, you swat them, too.  I could deal with that.
If you're a bear, your mate expects you to wake up growling.  He expects that you will have hairy legs and excess body fat. 
Yup, I wanna be a bear."
                                    author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment