Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Monday, June 27, 2011

Visitors

     We had a wonderful visit from family for most of last week, so today I have the time to get back to regular exercise and eating healthily.  We did take a 2 1/2 hour vigorous hike on Saturday, which was lots of fun;  however our company was decidedly not vegetarian.  It is hard to cook for carnivores when you haven't cooked meat for 17 years.  I hope, someday, to change their minds about all the meat-eating; but they don't ask my opinion, so I can't offer it. 
     Today I tried Jeff Galloway's Run-Walk-Run program for the first time.  I don't have a timer yet so ran for 60 respirations, then walked for 30 respirations, and repeated for 5 miles.  It worked just fine.  I plan to try this for awhile to see if it helps my running.  I'll also get a timer later this week.  I wore my minimalist Merrill Pace Glove shoes, but went sockless so now have a bad blister.  That was poor decision making on my part.  The 10k we signed up for, Fans On the Field, is only 90 days away. Must get motivated.
     We also had animal visitors over the weekend.
This is why my lilacs are fenced, remain so short, and never bloom.   But isn't he beautiful!  He startled me when I first walked out of the back door, though.  It is amazing to stand so close to something so huge and untamed.  I'll take our wildlife visitors over a perfect flower garden any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment