Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Flashback


     I happened to hear this song today and it reminded me of long family car-trips back in the day when we all had to listen to the same music at the same time.  It gave my husband and me a chance to instill in our children the music of  "Peter, Paul, and Mary,"  "Simon and Garfunkel," "The Beatles," "John Denver,"  and of course, "Harry Chapin."
     I remember listening to this song as we drove across Pennsylvania on a trip to DC back in 1992.  Of course the kids hated it, but Dean and I liked its dark humor, and it kept us awake.
           

     The kids always got their revenge by playing this song as loud as possible while singing at the top of their voices.  They knew I disliked it back then.  Now it brings pleasant memories.
                                         (email subscribers must go to blog to view videos)

     I think I'll go dig up our Harry Chapin CDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment