Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Saturday, August 13, 2016

GTIS

     Up at 3 AM for breakfast, walked the dog a mile at 4, out the door at 4:30 to drive up in the mountains to Idaho Springs to catch a shuttle bus to Georgetown, CO for the Georgetown Idaho Springs Half Marathon.  It starts at 8500 feet elevation and finishes at 7500 feet.   It was cold at the start with temps in the forties, but got really hot by the finish. Despite putting on sunblock at 3AM, I got a nice burn.
     It was so fun.  I haven't been training, just doing some running but not following a plan or doing long runs, so it was a pleasant surprise to finish without discomfort. I took my time running, but didn't have to join the walkers, of which there are a few.
     The race benefits the Clear Creek HS and Middle School Booster Club, and the volunteers at the water/gatorade stops were all cheering HS athletes. Fun.
     On the shuttle ride up to Georgetown we almost hit a boat on I70 that had fallen off of someone's trailer and was in the middle lane.  I hope no one following behind us hit it and caused a pile-up.
     Here is the great finishers medal they gave out.  I tried to get in close so you could see the detail of mountains and miner's pickaxes. They never used to give out medals so this is a surprise.  The winner awards are mining pans.  They are so cool, but I will never earn one.  I'm just glad to be out there and having a good time.

Race results,
      Division F65-69 place 8/10
      Overall Place 1155/1249
      Gender Place 629/728
      Finish time 2:55
Not terrific but I'll take it.




     Today's race mileage pushed me over the top for my next Amerithon sticker (my virtual run/walk across the country).  I reached the Inferno in Death Valley.  Next stop:  Hoover Dam


No comments:

Post a Comment