Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Saturday, August 20, 2016

“One runs the risk of weeping a little, if one lets oneself be tamed...” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

     I took Charleigh-dog for an early quick walk this morning.  There were 3 foxes in the street, and of course they turned, plunked down on their butts, and stared at us.  Charleigh, if you recall, hates coyotes, foxes, and all other canines which are "other" than her.  The foxes pick up on that, note her leash, and tease her to no end. So I took a quick left turn to do a shortcut through the school yard.  Mama (Papa???) fox ran after us and followed closely at our heels for 2 blocks while Charleigh pulled her hardest to get back at it. I was tempted to just let her go, but know I'd never find her again.  It turned out to be an irritating strength-training session for me.  Charleigh is a powerful seventy-five pounds.
      This reminded me of last Saturday when I ran the Georgetown-Idaho Springs half marathon.  I have a music playlist I listen to when I run races to urge me to go a little faster.  My tastes are eclectic...lots of '60s music, some 80's, some pop, one rap song, the Two Cellos, anything with a fast beat.  So (don't laugh), one song is "What does the fox say?"  Right after that song ended, a fox ran across the road directly in front of me and another runner. I was speechless and could only point. Is that a coincidence or what!





                                  (Take a listen and you'll want to go take a little run, too)

No comments:

Post a Comment