Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Food, fitness, and dogs.

                                    Isn't it a glorious day! 

     The pastor of the church to which we belong (but seem to never attend lately) opens most of his sermons this way, no matter how awful the weather.  It always makes me smile. 
     Well, today the weather truly is glorious, although tomorrow will be cold and snowy again.  I took advantage of it to take Rin for a longer walk....4 miles instead of her usual 2.  We were rewarded by seeing a golden eagle perched in a tree above the trail.  Glorious.  I wish I had had my camera to share it with you.
     I was able to ditch my jacket and roll up my sleeves to absorb some sunshine and make a little vitamin D, which is always a good thing.

     Someone I know once called the plant based, whole food diet that we follow, restrictive.  I have to disagree.  Eating this way opens up a whole universe of multi-colored vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, beans, grains and spices once you start to eat mindfully.  The standard American diet is the one that is restrictive.....pasta, pizza, burgers, fries, sugary cereal, and sugary dessert, and repeat over and over and over again.
     Try some new foods.  Grow your menu repertoire.  It won't hurt... really it won't.

     I have my fitness plan in place.  I must start running more as the half marathon on May 20 is looming over my head.  Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I plan to hit the treadmill for at least 30 minutes.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are stretching days. Saturday is our running group day where we run/walk.  And as long as we are fostering Rin-Dog, we will also be doing some daily walks.  Sunday....recovery.  Sounds doable.  We shall see.

"One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions."    Oliver Wendell Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment