Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, January 12, 2012

A life well lived.

     Our sister-in-law's Mother died yesterday.  She was 91.  I had met her several times over the years and she always struck me as as being a wonderful lady, well-grounded in what has value in this life.  She had an air of quiet dignity.  She had had more than a few trials over the years, and had come through them with this equanimity....this aura of being able to handle whatever life threw her way.  I think that she was probably quite religious...maybe that contributed to her peaceful demeanor.
     Please pause a moment and send out your good thoughts to the universe for Elsie for a life well-lived, and for her close-knit family of children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. 

                      The meaning of life is that it ends.
                                                      Franz Kafka

     I hope I am leading a well-lived life.  I hope to live into my 90s or 100s, at least, and have few regrets.  I hope to be eqipped to handle whatever life throws my way and to handle it with aplomb and dignity....to enjoy this cosmic dance.  I will try to not become a crabby old lady with 50 rescued cats and dogs.  Well, maybe we'll have just three or four.

No comments:

Post a Comment