Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Tuesday, January 3, 2012

K.I.S.S.

     As you know, we basically follow the Eat to Live diet...plant based and unprocessed.  I am borrowing this suggestion from the Fat Free Vegan blog....
K.I.S.S.S. I wish I had come up with it as it describes what we eat so well.
KISSS=Keep It Simple, Soup and Salad.  It really is simple.  We make sure to eat one huge salad meal a day starting with a base of leafy greens and adding nuts, beans, sweet potato, beets, tomatoes, cucumbers, fruit, or whatever leftovers are on hand, using a good balsamic vinegar for dressing.  Very simple.  For dinner we often have plant based soup or stew, making a very large recipe so we have lots of left-overs for later in the week...simple.
     Maybe K.I.S.S. should be the acronym for Keep It Simple & Smart, rather than the more common Keep It Simple, Stupid.

     I also read another blog about ditching recipes to simplify your cooking.  I did that years ago.  Cooking should be and can be intuitive and creative.  You shop for healthy food in season and on sale and create meals based on that. Just base it on the rules for good nutrition...have protein, carbs and fat at each meal....have a minimum of 9 vegetables and fruits per day, half of them raw.  Try to eat mushrooms, greens, and onions daily. Avoid junk. It is so simple. 

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.    Confucius.

No comments:

Post a Comment