Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Sunday, May 20, 2012

Standing on the starting line we're all cowards.---Alberto Salazar

     The Kaiser Permanente Colfax 1/2 Marathon that I've been training for and dreading for 6+ months took place this morning.  By my watch, I finished in 2 hours 50 minutes, or 13 minutes per mile.  This is now  my baseline going forward and I am thrilled with it.  I ran the first 2 miles with my friend Ellen, then I started to do a run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute ratio and Ellen took off.  Go Ellen.  She finished a good half hour before me.
     It was a gorgeous day for a run.  Dean was there at the start and finish.  It helps soooo much to have someone cheering you on.  Thank you Dean.
     I ran to support the charity Freedom Service Dogs.  Go Freedom.
     I actually feel really good after the run, but will probably soon be stiff and achy for a couple of days.  It was worth it.
     An additional anecdote:  I took great joy in passing a 30 something year old male runner wearing an "Eat Beef" shirt.  I realize it was a purely symbolic action for a 60 year old plant-based whole food eating woman to pass a much younger man who happened to be wearing an "eat beef" shirt.  I'm sure many of the people who passed me were meat eaters, although runners, in general, are much more likely to eat a healthy diet than the general populace.  But I'll take my symbolism where I can find it, and please note that once I passed him, he stayed passed!

Before the race waiting in the starting corral:


Me, second from the right, near the finish line.


 Home again, sweaty, but with my medal.  Now I have to find another race to keep me motivated.




No comments:

Post a Comment