Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Friday, December 6, 2013

Still cold, cold, cold.

   It is still cold, cold, cold here.  The temperature is minus nine degrees at 8:00 AM.  My poor dog is not getting walks.  It is good weather for staying in and doing some reading.

   Here are two links worth your time.  The first is for you runners out there.  Research confirms that rotating  your running shoes does reduce your risk of injury by 39%.  I do this, mainly because I've kept every pair of running shoes I've tried in the past two years for running in different situations.....long runs vs short, runs requiring tread on my shoes, shoes that keep my feet cool/warm/dry, runs on pavement vs trails. The more worn shoes I wear on the treadmill.  The totally worn out ones are relegated to wearing when mowing the lawn or for adding yak-trax for ice and snow. The newest shoes I wear for longer runs. I'm not recommending my method, but I'm cheap and it works for me.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/study-backs-rotating-shoes-to-lower-injury-risk



     The second link is about the certainty of global warming and water scarcity, and how to go about making some changes.  The problem is so massive, it is difficult to think about, but we must.

http://hpjmh.com/2013/12/06/the-certainty-of-global-warming-and-water-scarcity/


PS   10am, still below zero.  Walked the dog just 1/2 mile.  I wore ski gloves, but by the time I returned home I thought my fingers would fall off.

No comments:

Post a Comment