Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cholesterol

    Health-savvy consumer that you are, you know that blood cholesterol is an important marker for disease risk.  According to T. Colin Campbell, PhD, "Lower blood cholesterol levels are linked to lower rates of heart disease, cancer, and other Western diseases, even at levels far below those considered 'safe' in the West."  In his research, as blood cholesterol levels decreased, cancers of the liver, rectum, colon, lung, breast, leukemia, brain, stomach and esophagus decreased.  Most Americans know that high cholesterol affects your heart, but aren't aware of the cancer connection or the link to diabetes.
     Several prominent American heart disease researchers and physicians have stated that, in their long careers, they have never seen heart disease fatalities among patients with cholesterol levels below 150 mg/dl.  (Drs. Bill Castelli, Bill Roberts, and Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.) Studies show that consuming animal-based protein increases blood cholesterol levels.
     That information gave me a goal--- to aim for a total cholesterol below 150 mg/dl.  I know that I am just an experiment of one.  What works for me may not work for everyone, but here are my results.  I have been vegetarian for eighteen years now. My last total cholesterol level, as a vegetarian, was 158 mg/dl.  I was very happy with that.  But my most recent blood cholesterol level, as a plant-strong, unprocessed food, vegan, who is now age 60, was 128 mg/dl.  This life style works just as advertised!  (according to my laboratory, norms for total cholesterol for Americans are 125-200 mg/dl, note that averages for people in other countries are lower).
     In addition, my fasting blood sugar 2 1/2 years ago as a vegetarian was 100 mg/dl.  (normal 65-99 mg/dl).  That was one point above normal, or prediabetic.  This time around, as a vegan, it was 89 mg/dl and well withing the normal range. I'm thrilled.....my labwork confirms that this life style works for me, for whatever reason.  Be it the diet, adding more consistent exercise, or losing a little weight--- I need to keep this up.

Life is the great experiment.  Each of us is an experiment of one---observer and subject---making choices, living with them, recording the effects.    George Sheehan



                            (source, www.be-healthy-happy-beautiful.tumblr.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment