Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, February 2, 2012

Live out loud.

     It has been one year since I started this blog for health and self-motivation.  I have read many nutrition, health, and fitness books and articles; shared a few, and plan on continuing.  I thought this one-year mark would be a good time for a bit of self-evaluation.
     I am feeling more fit and toned.  There isn't a huge difference, but it is there.  I have been doing plank-a-days since September and am up to two minutes for the forearm plank, and one minute for the side planks, daily.  I am still jogging three times a week. I am extremely slow, but believe that no matter how slow I go, I am still lapping everyone sitting on the couch.
     More importantly, it is winter and I haven't gained any weight.  I can't wait for spring and getting outside to hike more and feel the sunshine.  Dean introduced me to the joys of hiking in the high country, as he moved to Colorado a year before I did.  We regret that we don't get out to do it more often.
     I often wonder about the philosophical question, "if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?"  You can apply that same question to blogging, or to life.  Does my blogging, or my life, or any of our lives, have an effect?  I believe they do.  We all make a sound.  Emile Zola said, "I am here to live out loud."  We all are.
     I also believe in the butterfly effect.  In chaos theory, the butterfly effect states that a small change at one place can result in large differences to a later state.  The theoretical example is of a hurricane formation based on whether or not a distant butterfly had flapped its wings several weeks before. (source, Wikipedia).  Hopefully my blog is like that....it is contributing in a small way to reaching the tipping point, the critical mass or threshold, of a healthier America, a healthier world.
     My hope is that you are living out loud.  Flap your butterfly wings.


                      The journey is the reward.     Chinese proverb.


2-2-12 update

forearm plank

No comments:

Post a Comment