Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Sunday, November 3, 2013

The times they are a-changin

     I admit to watching, with interest, what other people have in their grocery carts. In my defense, there isn't much else to do when waiting in line.  Last week I was behind an elderly gentleman who bought several bags of deli meats and deli cheese along with 4 cases of soda.....nothing else.  Hopefully that wasn't his week's menu, but it looked like it might have been.
     Friday I went to a girl's night out at a local restaurant known for their burgers. It is the first time I've done that in years.  There were ten of us there celebrating someone's birthday.  It surprised me to see that only one person ordered a drink....everyone else had water with lemon.  It also surprised me to see that nine of us ordered gardenburgers, (one with lettuce wrap, no bread); one ordered a salad only; and two ordered sides of unlimited broccoli instead of unlimited fries, and those getting the fries got sweet potato fries which are marginally better for you.  Maybe some American's are changing what they eat for the better!
     Now, probably you are thinking that everyone there was older, like me, (a bunch of old biddies), or a runner, but that wasn't the case.  Everyone else was in the 30 to 45 year-old range and only 2 others are runners.  I think the times they are a-changing.
     In other regards, I did show my age.  Much of the conversation centered on 1980s heavy-metal bands as everyone else are big fans of that genre and of the local band scene; however my heart still beats in time to the music of the sixties. That's my excuse for my musical ignorance, and I'm sticking to it.

Photo
                                     
Bipolar Runner's photo


     Today is the NYC Marathon!  Good luck to everyone and be safe out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment