Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, November 7, 2013

"When I first started running, I was so embarrassed I'd walk when cars passed me. I'd pretend I was looking at the flowers." - Joan Benoit Samuelson

You've gotta love Joanie......


At 56, Joan Benoit Samuelson’s New York City Marathon time of 2:57:13 was not only good enough to win her age group in the 2013 ING New York City Marathon by more than 12 minutes, it also would have won the 50-54 and 45-49 age groups.

It was a fitting display for someone inducted last Thursday into the New York Road Runners (NYRR) Hall of Fame in a ceremony at which Samuelson said of running in NYC: “I’ve gutted it out here numerous times.”

http://www.nyrr.org/newsroom/nyrr-news-service/samuelson’s-25713-nothing-to-sneeze-at

      I went to my run group last night.  I had skipped last week as I really, really hate the dark and the cold.  Last night was the dreaded one mile time trial.  Eight weeks ago I did the trial in 11:10.  This time I did it in 10:49.  Yay.  Still the slowest (and oldest) one out there, but I'm making progress.  Three others run just a few seconds faster than me, so I'm not alone.  This is a great way to learn to pace myself.
     It was cold, but dry, and my headlamp works great.  I didn't trip and fall on any sidewalk cracks at least.
(how's your back, Mom?)

No comments:

Post a Comment