Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Friday, February 5, 2016

Dragons and monsters



                                                                                  The Oatmeal




                                                                                The Oatmeal
                                                                         

     I love fairy tales. I recently read Cary Elwes' book, "As you wish: Inconceivable Tales from the making of the Princess Bride."  That led to re-watching the movie.  I am now reading William Goldman's book, "The Princess Bride."
     You can't get enough of a great fairy tale.  That must be why I loved "Into the Woods" so much.  I listen to the soundtrack of the Broadway version all the time.
      I just started reading, "Level up your Life: how to unlock adventure and happiness by becoming the hero of your own story" by Steve Kamb.  He proposes making your life a game, going on quests, earning experience points, and becoming your own super-hero. As I said, I just began the book, and I'm usually not into self-help books, but so far this is a good read.  He suggests we should all get out of our "hobbit holes."



“Never laugh at live dragons.” 
― J.R.R. Tolkien



“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings



“What do you fear, lady?" [Aragorn] asked. 
"A cage," [Éowyn] said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King



“No more rhymes now I mean it!”

“Anybody want a peanut?” 

“AAHH!” 
― William GoldmanThe Princess Bride
   

No comments:

Post a Comment