Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Friday, September 9, 2016

My Amerithon virtual run/walk across the USA-- update


     So yesterday this happened.  I arrived at Peach Springs.  Next stop, the Grand Canyon.  (Only 2796 miles to go).  It will be tough to finish this virtual journey in a year.


     Today I had an irritating run.  I try to get out of my neighborhood as soon as possible as I live half a block from a K-2 primary school.  The early morning traffic with buses, pre-school vans, cars, bikes, and little kids is awful. So I headed to a paved bike path 3/4 of a mile away to do a few hill repeats.  There is a nice 1/4 mile hill there.  But today, it was claimed as hunting territory by a rattlesnake. Once I passed the snake, I knew that even if it left the path, it would remain close-by in the tall grass, too dangerous for my dog. Hill repeats were out.
     The parking lot of the park across the road was full of cars plus 2 large buses had just dropped off big groups of college kids, so that was out.  I just continued down the bike path until Charleigh-dog noted a coyote hunting in the tall grass.  From then on, she wanted nothing but to get that coyote and pulled like the crazy dog she is to get it, so I couldn't run until it was out of sight and mind.  It was busy catching field mice and wasn't going anywhere.
     That meant the park full of people and college kids was the lesser of 3 evils....rattlesnakes, coyotes, crowds.  We diverted to the park and cut the run short to go home. By then it was getting pretty hot anyway.
     It looks like I'll be using the treadmill and watching Netflix later on to finish up.  it was just one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment