Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Friday, August 28, 2020

BLM


     I made the mistake of reading headlines this morning, thus my dog walk was faster than usual to stomp off my massive outrage and to get it down to a slow burn to save my health and sanity.  I live next to an elementary school.  Some of the kids are starting back, although most are learning remotely to start the year. From a pandemically acceptable social distance, I walked by two young black Moms walking with their little preschool boys. I see one of them every morning and they waved at me....her 2 year old is fascinated by my dog. He's adorable (the 2 year old, not my dog)..  Usually he's pushing a bubble lawn mower up and down the sidewalk.
     But if I am absolutely enraged by the unpunished murders of black people by police, I can't even imagine the fear these Moms must be experiencing. And to feel that fear, but remain calm and serene and Mom-like for their kids must be an even bigger burden.  I was brought to tears thinking about what those little boys may face someday. 

                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X3PWBFdFIY



(unrelated,  ex update, tm jog 4.1 miles, ytd total 1035.75 miles run;  am dog walk 3.1 miles, ytd  walk 434.5 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment