Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Monday, September 12, 2011

Special Forces in Smocked Dresses

     I received a couple of good books for my 60th birthday on the subject of turning 60.  My favorite is by Wendy Reid Crisp and is called:  "When I Grow Up I Want to Be 60."  Each chapter is about an "S" word, "S" as in Sixty.  This is from the "Sharpshooters" chapter.

     "Let the boys win," said my third-grade teacher.  "It's important to them.  And don't show off.  No one will like you."  We were Special Forces in smocked dresses, walking softly, carrying our intelligence as concealed weapons.  Eventually, we were unmasked--it's stressful for a ten-year old to pretend to forget what a planet is or purposefully misspell 'foreign'.  Sadly, however, our third-grade teacher was right, and never more so than when we entered the business world.  Feminist movement or not, smart women--and there are so many of us!--make people nervous.  As well we should.  The weapon is no longer concealed--and at sixty, we fire at will.

     I love that....special forces in smocked dresses carrying our intelligence as concealed weapons, and now, firing at will.
     Thanks for the books Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment