Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Friday, September 30, 2011

Technology...ya gotta love it.

     I have been without internet service most of today and part of a day earlier in the week.  I hadn't realized how dependent I was on the internet.  It is our only source of news plus communications by email.  I really missed it.  Cable and television I don't miss at all.  They are really an intrusion in our lives.  We have been without T.V. for 2 1/2 years now.  As a consequence, we read more and sit less.
 
     I was happy to read a comment in a letter to "Ask the Sports Doc" this week on the Runners World website.  Someone wrote in that he was newly diagnosed with hip osteoarthritis but didn't want to quit running for health reasons.  The Sports Doc gave several suggestions to try including the suggestion to try minimalist shoes and change foot plant to mid-foot or fore-foot to decrease the pounding that running can cause.  He did not insist that running was bad for you.  You can find the blog in its entirety on the Runners World web site.

     I read the book "The 80/10/10 Diet" by Dr. Douglas N. Graham.  I agree with the 80% carbs, 10% protein, 10% fat goals for our diets.  He suggests, however, we should ideally eat raw foods exclusively and omit nuts, seeds, and cooked grains and legumes.  I am not quite ready for that, however will try eating more raw fruits and salads every day...maybe trying one meal a day of his program.

     Have a happy and exercise-filled weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment