Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Friday, June 28, 2013

"I look up as I walk"

   From the way back machine:
   (email subscribers, go to the blog to see videos)
   Fifty years ago this month there was a Japanese song which reached the Billboard Hot 100 charts.  It was called "Ue o Muite Arukou" or "I shall walk looking up."  It was sung by Kyu Sakamoto and went by the awful alternative title "Sukiyaki" here in the US., which is probably how you will remember it. I do.
     Here is the video of this version, with lyrics.  It is hauntingly beautiful.
       
 

     Later English cover versions with entirely different lyrics were sung by "A Taste of Honey" in 1981, and then by the group "4 P.M."  Here is a video of the "4 P.M." version with lyrics, also very beautiful.  It was done 20 years ago in 1993.

      Our copy is from this version.  Dean bought me the cassette tape for my birthday when he first heard it, back in '94 or '95.  It was one of his favorite songs.  Mine, too.  I really enjoy finally knowing the original lyrics from the Japanese version from 50 years ago.  I thought you might, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment