Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, September 19, 2013

Go Salamanders

     I did a short interval run last night and got to try out a pair of Hoka shoes.  All the cushioning felt interestingly good.  I am not an agile person, though, and think I need to stick with shoes closer to the ground.  I love that ground feel.  It was fun trying them, though, and a lot of people were sold on them.  They didn't provide me with a magical, miraculous increase in speed, which is what I need.  I should get to this group more often, but only seem to make it a couple of times a month. It will be harder come winter, running in the cold and dark.
     FYI, we did 5 two minute intervals at 10k pace, alternating with 90 seconds of recovery (where I walked), then 3 sets of 15 second strides followed by a 4 minute cool down jog.
     Then I went to watch a late evening Salamander's softball game.  They lost by 2 but it was an exciting game.  Go Salamanders.
     P.S.  Last Saturday I spoke with the woman who came in first in my age group at the Labor Day Highlands Ranch Half Marathon.  She beat me by 57 minutes and ran the entire distance at 8 minute miles. She is lean and long legged, and looks like an endurance runner, unlike stocky me.  She also looks 20 years younger than her chronological age.  She ran Boston this past year and finished well before the bombs went off, so she is experienced and fast. She gives me hope that I can get faster....not to her level...but faster.
     Here are a couple of pictures from the interval run.  I'm in green, by the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment