Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, September 26, 2013

Your running days are numbered....


     I have been losing motivation to run as I near the end of my training cycle.  Only a little over 3 weeks to go and then I am taking a running vacation!  By that I mean a vacation from running.
     Last night I went to speed work group.  We warmed up, then did fourteen 30 second intervals at 5k pace, and two thirty second intervals at 1 mile pace.  Of course, I don't have a 5k pace or a 1 mile pace or wouldn't recognize them if I did, so I just alternated running 30 seconds faster with 30 seconds of walking.  It was fun.  So now I have a goal for next year....to run some 5k's and maybe 10 k's to find out my pace and learn to pace myself. Also, to get faster.
     Today is a rest day... no running for me....but I read this great blog, "your running days are numbered," which hopefully will get me out the door or on the treadmill tomorrow. Here is the link.  It is well worth the read.
     https://runsmartonline.com/articles/prevention/your-running-days-are-numbered/


     Maybe because of the change in seasons with school restarting for the neighborhood kids, or due to my nearing the end of my running training for this year, I have been thinking about setting running goals for next year. I don't think I will reach this year's goal of running 1500 miles, although miracles do happen.  It is just an arbitrary number which I won't let consume me.
     I recently read a story about Fred Lebow, the founder of the New York Marathon.  One New Year's Eve, he and his non-runner girlfriend were scheduled to attend a formal dinner. Fred discovered that he was short of his yearly running goal of 2500 miles, by 19 miles; so he went out in to the cold, dark, and snow for hours to run those 19 miles and meet his goal.  When he returned home he found all of his belongings neatly packed and stacked in the hallway with a farewell note attached.



     "A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at."  Bruce Lee


 

No comments:

Post a Comment