Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Sunday, April 19, 2015

Create ripples


“Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”


― Robert F. Kennedy


     I have always loved the Ripples quote by Robert Kennedy.  The following quote reminded me of it.



CREATING A RUNNING WAKE


"When you go out running down the street, you create what I call a wake. The wake is like at the back of a boat when you are going through the water. The faster you go the bigger the wake. In that wake people are seeing you, hearing about you, getting this feeling from you, and they're saying, 'I should be doing that too. I should be out there running and racing. I should be taking care of my body.' The faster you go the more influence you have on other people. That's the beauty of running is that just by going out and doing it, you are changing the world. You are making other people so that they will have a wake. And that's what happened with the distance revolution. One becomes two, becomes four, becomes eight."

Gerry LindgrenGerry Lindgren's Book on Running



      The Bobby Kennedy quote reminded me of the following song (see YouTube video).  Today is rainy and good for reminiscing.  Ripples, currents, wakes, a rainy day.....I sense a theme here. And 1968 was a good year for music.

No comments:

Post a Comment