Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Tuesday, July 28, 2015

"I'm not as fast or as flexible as I once was, but running keeps me young."---Nicole DeBoom



     There are lots of days when I don't feel like exercising at all, and on those days I don't do much, but I do something.  Motivation helps me greatly.  It helps to have heroes or new reasons why I should get out there. That's one reason I have a big dog, and am trying to accomplish a running streak (today is day 328).

     Here is a link to interviews with 7 amazing older ultrarunners.  These people are in their 70's and 80's and are running 100 mile races in the mountains.....they are accomplishing things I cannot even fathom.  They are the heroes I was talking about.  If they can do that, then I should be able to do the lesser running that I do.
http://www.runnersworld.com/ultrarunning/for-these-ultramarathoners-mileage-like-age-is-just-a-number


     Then there are always the other reasons to run.  Here is a link to an article about how exercise keeps aging brains humming. One of the 3 studies it mentions shows that aerobic exercise actually improves Alzheimer's Disease.  Now how many places do you know of that offer aerobics to Alzheimer's patients?  Let's hope this starts a trend.
http://sportsgeezer.com/2015/exercise-keeps-aging-brains-humming/ 


"The battles that count aren't the ones for gold medals.  The struggles within yourself---the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us---that's where it's at." 
                                      Jesse Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment