Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, August 13, 2015

"I've seen it raining fire in the sky."---John Denver, Rocky Mountain High



     I did get up at 4:30 this morning to check the skies for the Perseid Meteor shower.  I stood in my backyard with my dog and saw two shooting stars over three minutes (and also got a couple of mosquito bites). Shooting stars are magic!

But the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high (Colorado)

     The Perry Como song, catch a falling star, was a hit in 1958-1959, which would have made me 7 years old when I first heard it.  He did have 4 different TV shows lasting from 1948 until 1967.

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
     Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
     Save it for a rainy day
     Save it for a rainy day.


     
     Yesterday was one of those days where I was just tired.  I walked 6 miles with my friend Sue and with my dog Charleigh.  It was hot.  
     I should have gone home and mowed my lawn, but priorities are priorities.  I jogged a mile on the treadmill in front of a fan to keep my streak alive.  Then I took a long hot bath instead.  Lawn mowing can wait.  Besides, it will be in the upper nineties every day for at least the next 4 days and will be dry, the lawn won't be growing much, right? Oh, the excuses I give myself.
     
"As athletes, we have ups and downs. Unfortunately, you can't pick the days they come on."---Deena Kastor



     It must be nearing autumn.  For 2 days in a row Charleigh and I have seen 2 huge bucks meandering down the middle of the street just daring anyone to challenge them or make them move.  I'm not too worried yet as their antlers are still covered with velvet.   I've been told that makes them very sensitive so they probably won't attack.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment