Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Monday, January 29, 2018

"Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority."----William Jennings Bryan

     I found this gem of a quote in a cookbook, believe it or not, along with some good recipes.  ("Unprocessed," by Chef AJ). It was also autobiographical, which was even more interesting than the recipes.

     I've been reading cookbooks lately...and doing a lot of cooking.  It is that time of year.

     My favorite cookbook, though, is the "How Not to Die Cookbook" by Michael Greger.  It is a follow-up to the science and research based NY Times best seller, "How Not to Die,"  by the same author.  I've gotten all kinds of good ideas here, not that I follow recipes much.  I see what foods I have on hand or are on sale and basically go from there adding whatever sounds great to me at the moment.  This method of not using recipes and throwing in whatever is handy makes it hard to duplicate whenever something turns out particularly well, though.

     The "Run Fast, Eat Slow" cookbook by NYC marathon winner Shalane Flanagan was interesting but not helpful for me.  It isn't vegan and uses oils and fats.  This probably works for Shalane who I'm sure runs well over 100 miles per week.  It is more for gourmet foodie athletes.

     I'm always on the look-out for new healthy recipe ideas.  I love to try new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment