Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Sunday, January 21, 2018

Running for Joy



     A friend named Joy, who also used to volunteer at Freedom Service Dogs, died last week.  I ran a race yesterday and had determined in advance to run the miles in Joy's honor.  Look at the bracelet that turned up in my race packet!  The universe truly works in mysterious ways.



     The race was hard.  It sucks getting old and slow.  But look at the alternative.  I get to run.  I choose to run. I am blessed to run. I run for Joy.  I am training for life. All of these mantras helped me finish. 
     I intended to be bad-ass and run a mile outside today, but the snow is already 6 inches deep.  I can't tell where sidewalks end and curbs start.  So a mile running around in my basement it will have to be. (I'm not driving anywhere in this weather to run on a treadmill at a gym, either). 

No comments:

Post a Comment