Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Friday, March 25, 2011

And if not now, when?

     Today finishes week seven of jogging for me.  I am soooooo slow, and it isn't coming back easily.  When does the muscle memory kick in?  My new running mantra is:  "If not now, when?".  It is from a quote by Rabbi Hillel:  "If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?  And if I am only for myself, then what am I?  And if not now, when?"   If I can't take up jogging now, will I ever?   Humans evolved as endurance runners.  I am human, ergo I am an endurance runner.  Period.
     Jason and Kuldeep, your long runs of 18 and 21 miles are motivating me.  Fantastic job. 
     Dean has today off from chemo, yeah!
     Sadie still is wearing her cone of shame.  We took it off one evening, she was napping, but soon she licked the sores on her leg open again so back on it went.
     At Freedom Service Dogs this week I trained 2 just rescued year old yellow labs....Carson and Kyrik.  Both are bursting with that young lab exuberance (read, hard to hold onto and distracted by everything), but both love treats so that's a help.  Kyrik loves them so much he nearly swallows your hand, too, so I spent much time on teaching him to take treats gently. 

Thought for the day:
 "Always remember that you are absolutely unique.  Just like everyone else."
                                                             Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment