Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, March 10, 2011

My name is Deborah...


     My given name is Deborah.  As a kid I was Debby, which I hated, later Debbie (although my Dad nicknamed me Susan Jane/ Susie Jane for some reason).  Teen years into adulthood I became Deb,  it sounded more "hip".  Now, though, I have grown into my name.  I prefer the more formal sound to it:  Deborah.
     Deborah in Hebrew means "the bee".  I've always liked that.  The Bee.  I grow perennial lavenders, sages, and nepetas in my flower garden which are full of fat drowsy bumblebees in the late summer.  They connect me with the beauties of nature and my name.   We also shared my name with our daughter, who has it as her middle name:  Kate, the Bee. 
    
     "Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway."    Mary Kay Ashe

     "To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,
       One clover, and a bee.
       And revery. 
       The revery alone will do,
       If bees are few." 
                       Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment