Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Thursday, March 3, 2011

Going to the dogs.

     Today I volunteered at Freedom Service Dogs, something I do regularly.  Two of my favorite service dogs will be training with their clients and going to their forever home with them in two weeks.  This is my last time working with them.  I will really miss them.
     Dallas, a black lab mix, was born to be a service dog.  He just loves to accomplish tasks for you and can't wait to do more.  Today we worked on him retrieving dropped items and dropping them in my lap;  also, retrieving items and dropping them in a basket.  Then I hid the items and he found them and either put them in my lap or dropped them in a basket depending on the command.  Finally, we focused on "find a friend"....upon hearing the command he goes, finds, and brings back another person.  This command is to be used if the client needs help.    He is the most loving, funny dog.  His new client is a very lucky person.
     Cooper, also a black lab mix, is a sweetheart.  He is so very excited when he first sees you coming.  He wags his entire body and practically squeals his delight and welcome.   If he could talk, he would.  He loves to be with people.  Cooper and I (and 4 trainers and their dogs) went to the mall for 2 hours.  We wandered around the stores, rode the elevator, and had lunch.  (More precisely, I had lunch, he stayed down by my side.)  He behaved like the perfect gentle-dog he is.  He, like Dallas, loves to retrieve.  Great, great dog who will soon have a very lucky new client and home.  
 
     If you want information about,  or can financially assist,  a really good non-profit that takes in shelter dogs and trains them to be Service dogs or Therapy dogs,  please visit their website at:
                             www.Freedomservicedogs.org

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."   Roger Caras

No comments:

Post a Comment