Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Saturday, September 26, 2015

Invest in yourself. Earn your body.





     So many people I know have recently become seriously ill.  This is a big reminder to take care of ourselves!

     I am reading "Personal Best" by George Sheehan, MD.  He says that life is a permanent boot camp.  We must always be in training---our minds and spirits as well as our bodies. "Life is not a skill sport.  It does not require hand-eye coordination.  It is not determined by our intelligence quotient, not dependent on a beatific vision.  It is a game anyone can play and play well."
     We are all here to lead a heroic life, but we are in contention with our youthful selves. The battle is never over and the war is never won.
     My legend will not be yours.  We all must be heroes in our own ways.    
   
     

            So take care of your body.  You only get one.
(At least for now. We'll see how well that human head transplant scheduled for Dec. 2017 in Turin, Italy actually works out. I think I'll stick with and work on the body I've got).

No comments:

Post a Comment