Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Monday, September 28, 2015

Personal best--becoming a hero


     I am continuing to read  "Personal Best" by George Sheehan, MD.  In the current chapter he writes of running the Marine Corps Marathon, which is the people's marathon.  He notes that mass competence at the start becomes mass determination around mile 17, and later turns into mass courage. There is no guarantee for anyone, Olympian or other-wise, to ever finish a marathon.
     The Marine Corps Marathon begins and ends at "the burial ground of ordinary men who had become heroes----soldiers who in the end had found in themselves a competence and determination and courage they never knew they possessed.  When we returned, so had we."
      This is reassuring. I hope to find those things in myself, as well.  The race is less than 4 weeks away and my worries are rising. My usual "just don't think about it" will get me through the next few weeks.  I'm doing the training and have to hope for the best.


     He also discusses the aging mind and body, and refers the reader to Marcus Tullius Cicero's "On Old Age" written in 44 BC.  Here is a great summary, if you have the time to read it. Cicero expected the aging person to accomplish great things.
https://successfulretirementguide.wordpress.com/2009/12/06/ciceros-thoughts-on-growing-older/

     I've been thinking about aging a lot lately.  It bothers me that I am a slow runner.  It shouldn't, I know, because actually I'm about mid-pack or better for my age group.  Most of my runner friends are 15-30 years younger than me, so are much faster, and it is difficult to avoid comparison.
     I know, I know.  I am faster than everyone sitting at home on the couch and my only competition is against myself. Sometimes it is hard to remember this.  I expect more and faster improvement.
     I just wish I had started back in my twenties or thirties.

     I recently read "Spring Chicken: Stay Young Forever (or die trying)" by Bill Gifford.  He is a journalist and covers all the research being done currently on prolonging life and health.  He exposes all the hoaxes and scams out there, as well. It was an interesting read, especially for a health care professional.  For the time being until the science comes up with solutions, the best way to live longer and better are in doing the things we already know....exercise, eat healthy, get enough sleep, don't smoke, try intermittent fasting, and exercise some more.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment