Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Sunday, November 8, 2015

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."----Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five


     I read this interesting quote today and had to look up its context.  I read the book twenty years ago and don't recall it.   Billy Pilgrim thinks this when his daughter asks him what it was like to be in the war.  The book's narrator says that it would make a good epitaph for Billy.  Irony is in play here. I can see why the quote is so well-known.

     I'm sure you recall the poem, "The road not taken," by Robert Frost.  (Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both.....").  I recently read a very pretentious article on how everyone interprets Frost's meaning incorrectly.
     It is poetry.  Its beauty is that its meaning is open to interpretation. The meaning to me in my life can be different than the meaning to you in yours, and it is okay.  It is still poignant.
     This is why I disliked literature classes in high school and college.  I loved the reading but disliked that the interpretation was graded on such a narrow basis....view it my way, or the highway, so to speak.


     It is a gorgeous fall day here.  I took Charleigh for a slow three mile scratch/sniff/and explore walk.  There must be wonderful smells hiding under the drifts of damp leaves.  She deserved some excitement as she didn't get much exercise yesterday.  I enjoyed soaking up the sun.  There won't be many more days like this in 2015.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment