Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Saturday, November 7, 2015

Nice race this morning...I'd do it again.


     I always ask myself why do I do this?  It was so cold waiting at the start for an hour, with a bitter wind.  But I have to get there early.  Why, you ask?  Because there were 8 portapotties for over 1000 people, is why.  The people getting there late were in a line a couple of blocks long.
     Afterward, I realize every time that I race, I do it because I can....because I can say I did this difficult thing.
     I was wrong about the course.  2 1/4 miles of concrete, 2 miles of pasture dodging badger holes and cow pies, 5+ miles of single track with lots of rocks and roots covered by fallen leaves. the rest was double track all along 13.1 miles of continuous non-stop hills!
     Being a klutz, naturally I tripped and fell, but only once, skinning my elbow and both palms.  The next song on my race playlist....."Human" by Christina Perri, with lyrics:  "But I'm only human, and I bleed when I fall down."  A few songs later, "I feel the earth move" by Carole King; lyrics:  "I feel the earth move under my feet, I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down."  I love both songs but you can see how they might be bad luck when dodging rocks and roots on hills.I might have to rethink them both.
     I finished in about 2:58.  My Garmin watch won't sync today so I can't view the results, and official race results won't be posted online for at least 24 hours.  Can't wait to check my Garmin....I'm guessing altitude gain was well over 1000 feet. At least it seemed that way.
     I always learn something during these races.  Today I learned not to leave my sports drink sitting at home on the counter.
     And Siri, my cell phone navigator, got me there and back without problems so I thanked her, feeling guilty over my snarkiness yesterday.  She replied, "I'm just doing my job."
     Food at the end of the race was pancakes and craft beer.  Wonderful, but how very German.

     Great bling----shirt, medal, and mug.  I'd do this race again.

PS  The only wildlife sighting was the Wookie giving high-fives at mile eight.



PS  Garmin Express is functioning today finally.  The total elevation gain at yesterday's race was 1115 feet. I need to work on running more hills and trails before I do this again.  I think this race was the last for me in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment