Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Finding healthful food in the supermarket.


     Here is a great article from the New York Times discussing how  nutrition is being bred out of our foods, and a few things you can shop for in the supermarket to help change that  ( New York Times, ).  

     Shop for bright colors,   Cook with blue, purple or red cornmeal.  Get corn with deep yellow kernels, not white.  In the greens section, buy arugula which is still similar to its wild ancestor.  Use lots of fresh herbs and scallions.  Try purple potatoes rather than russets.  


       

     I have been trying to do this.  I really like fresh parley or cilantro and arugula mixed with other greens in salad. Purple potatoes, when I can get them in season, are wonderful.  I go for deep, rich colors.  I've tried buying dandelion greens.  They are bitter, but are good mixed with other greens in salad.  I haven't learned to love them quite yet but keep trying them when I can find them in the store.
     It is now summer, therefore, salad season so this is timely advice from the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment