Looking together in the same direction.

Looking together in the same direction.
Sea otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart.

by my favorite poet, Mary Oliver

"Instructions for living a life.

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it."

Mary Oliver


Wednesday, October 28, 2015

MCM Mission Complete


     The Marine Corps Marathon Sunday was a great race.  It lives up to its billing as "the people's marathon." We went through security outside the Pentagon and made our way up to Arlington National Cemetery for the start.  It was raining lightly but the two Marine Ospreys still had their flyover and the Skydivers jumped. A howitzer sounded the start.
     We ran through Rosslyn, Va, crossed the river, went through Georgetown and did an out and back through Rock Creek Park.  By then the rain had stopped.
     Mile 10 Kennedy Center, Lincoln Memorial, FDR Memorial (I didn't notice them)
     Mile 12 was the Wear Blue Mile to honor fallen veterans. There were photos of deceased soldiers, some with their families, lining both sides of the road.  Volunteers canopied the road with flags. It was extremely moving. Runners wept.
     Mile 15 Jefferson Memorial, Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial (I didn't notice them, either)
     Mile 16 Lincoln, WW II, Korean War Memorials
     Mile 17 Washington Monument, Smithsonian Museums
     Mile 18 National Capitol, Art Gallery, more museums
     Mile 19 National Air and Space Museum
     Mile 20 "Beat the Bridge"---(time cut-off point)
     Mile 22 Crystal City, VA
     Mile 24 Pentagon
     Mile 25 Arlington National Cemetery
     Mile 26.2 Charge up the final hill to the Iwo Jima/US Marine Corps War Memorial
         
   




Osprey flyover


Some of the skydivers


     Here are my results.  My split times were remarkably consistent for me.  I didn't hit any walls this time.  Had I not had to stop to use a portajohn, which involved 10 minutes of waiting in line, I would have beat my prior marathon time. I came in 83rd of 164 women in my age group and had a good time, so I am satisfied. If it isn't fun, you aren't doing it right.

     I am home now.  My crazy dog was so very glad to get out of the kennel and come home.  My muscles aren't too sore anymore, so it is time to contemplate the next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment